Who can sign up for Marine OnLine?

Marine OnLine (MOL) is designed for Marines with personnel records in the Marine Corps Total Force System (MCTFS). This includes Marines on Active Duty, Reserve, Active Reserve Marines, the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) and Retired Marines. If you have left the Marine Corps without retiring and are now past your End of Obligated Service (EOS), or you never were a Marine, then you are not eligible to use this service. If you are a Marine (you fall into one of the categories above), and you want to register on MOL, go to our registration page to sign up.

If you are not a Marine (you do NOT fall into one of the categories above), but work for an agency that has a valid requirement to access USMC personnel data (i.e., Judge Advocate General, Naval Criminal Investigative Service, American Red Cross, Personnel Admin Center, etc.), the Commanding Officer, or his designated representative, of the unit that has local administrative control over your agency (i.e., HqBn Marine Corps Base) must create your non-Marine MOL account. Please contact the Adjutant of your unit or the servicing Personnel Admin Center, as local policy dictates, to request an account.

I don't have all the information needed to register?

Contact your local Personnel Administration Office.

The registration form says some data I entered is incorrect?


  • If you are a JR, SR, II, etc. enter your last name followed by one space, then your generational qualifier without any punctuation (JR/SR/III); for example: "Smith Jr".
  • Check block eight (8) of your Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) for your pay entry base date (PEBD). This is the leading registration problem! You can get an LES on-line at the Defense Finance and Accounting Service MyPay web site.
  • If you have recently graduated from recruit training, you may still have the recruit military occupational specialty (MOS) of 8011. If you are in or recently graduated from MOS school, you may have the basic Occupational Code for your MOS. For example: the code for 0311 is 0300.


Why is the information on MOL incorrect?

Marine OnLine relies on information as provided by the Marine Corps Total Force System (MCTFS). New data will take approximately 24 to 72 hours to process depending on weekends and holidays, and be reflected in your MOL record.

The web site says I've exhausted all four of my attempts to Register. Now what?

Exhausting all four attempts to register merely means that you have been locked out from attempting to register or log in for twenty minutes. Wait and try again.


Why are the Password rules so difficult?

With Marine OnLine, individuals have the ability to view their Electronic Service Records from MCTFS. Given the sensitivity of that information, Marine Online is doing all that it can to make sure that your information is secure. Part of that security is making sure your password is strong enough to prevent hackers from accessing your personal information.

Why are the registration questions so hard?

The information needed to register with Marine Online is used as verification of your identity. If the information were too easy, then any person who has even a little bit of your information could register as you.

If I get an "Invalid Username or Password" error, how can I log in?

Try again; you have three opportunities to get your login credentials entered correctly. On the fourth invalid attempt, your account will be locked for twenty minutes.

Your password is case sensitive (your username is not); make sure you don't inadvertently have the "Caps Lock" on. If you can't remember your password, please try the password recovery procedure.

How do I change my Password?

You can change your MOL password by following these steps:

  1. Login to Marine OnLine.
  2. Click on the "MY ACCOUNT" tab.
  3. Click on the "EDIT ACCOUNT" link that appears in the left margin.
  4. Type in your Current Password, New Password, Re-enter Password and click on the "Submit" button.
  5. Click on the "Confirm" button.
  6. Click on the "OK" button.



How do I get a copy of my records after separation/discharge?

Request a copy of your OMPF from HQMC (MMRP).

How can I get my LES?

Online access to your Electronic Leave and Earnings Statement (E-LES) is provided by the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) via their MyPay web site. If you forgot your PIN, or need to get one for the first time, go to the "About Your PIN" page and follow the directions there.

A-PES Contact Information

Who do I contact if I can access MOL but not the A-PES application?

How do I contact the A-PES Help Desk?

Additional A-PES contact Information

Fitnes Report Policy/Research Unit(MMRP-31):

  • E-mail: smb.manpower.mmrp-31@usmc.mil
  • Note: When requesting an administrative correction, sending a certified true copy of a fitness report or requesting help with a date gap or retrieval of a late or missing report.

Fitness Report Processing Unit (MMRP-32):  |  tfas-p2s-01 Contact Help Desk  |   Frequently Asked Questions 27 Sep 2020 @ 0235